Can you see the \alpha in your pdf viewer? Which viewer do you use? Have
you tried printing the pdf from different viewers (evince, adobe reader)?
This look like the reader is trying to use the device (printer) fonts
and cannot find the proper glyph.
Can you upload a minimal example lyx file, and the resulting pdf file.