Hi Richard,

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Richard Talley <rich.tal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I was running LyX 1.6.x, I had no problems getting LyX and Skim to
> sync, but I can't get it working with LyX 2.0.6.

Do you still have your user folder from back then?

> No matter what I do, generated pdfs continue to open in Preview rather than
> Skim.

OK let's take this one step at a time. The first step is getting Skim
to open the PDFs.

> LyX has the correct (according to the wiki) command built-in - open LyX
> Preferences -> Output and in PDF command put
> /Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline $$n $$o $$t.

This is only for Forward search, not for which program opens a PDF file.

What about going to Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File Formats
select, e.g. PDF (XeTeX)
and under "viewer" select Skim or add it as custom.

> I know I could force the pdfs to open in Skim by setting all pdfs to open in
> Skim, but I neither want nor should have to do that.

I thought this is what you want to do.

Best,

Scott