On Sunday 26 January 2014 11:30:48 Patrick Dupre wrote:
> It is bizard that
>  yum search frenchb.ldf
>
> does not find:
> texlive-babel-french

For performance reasons "yum search" does not search the file names of the
packages.

>From the man page:

"yum search ...
This is used to find packages when you know something about the package but
aren't sure of it's name. By default search will try searching just package
names and summaries, but if that "fails" it will then try descriptions and url."

In my case:

$ rpm -qa | wc -l
8317
$ find /usr/share | wc -l
find: ‘/usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d’: Permission denied
501610

Note that I am just searching a popular directory, not even the whole file
system, that I do not have all the packages installed and the counter shows
more than half of a million file names.

Regards,
--
José Abílio