On 02/04/14, 03:08 , Richard Heck wrote:
> On 02/03/2014 08:04 PM, Chris Menzel wrote:
>> On 01/29/14, 02:41 , Richard Heck wrote:
>>> ...We have had this problem before, and there are other issues
>>> about Cocoa versus whatever versus whatever else. It is
>>> difficult to test every combination, and we have only a couple
>>> active OSX developers. Many of them use trunk (2.1.dev) for
>>> obvious sorts of reasons. So, well, we could really use a
>>> couple people who could test the OSX version on a more regular
>>> basis.
>> Well, I'm running 2.1.0 dev (with good stability) on both OS X
>> 10.9 and Linux on a Chromebook (thanks to Crouton). Tell me what
>> to do to help.
>
> It has been suggested that someone produce a homebrew recipe that
> would allow more

Yeah - that was me.

> "ordinary users" to compile and test the most recent versions, or
> even develop some system that would produce nightly, or perhaps
> weekly, builds. It would be best if this could be done for both
> trunk (2.1.dev) and branch (2.0.8dev, as things stand). Those

I agree. As I understand homebrew, the only difference wold be to
where the source is downloaded from (static URL, I think svn is also
possible, ...). I am looking "loosely" at the moment into the script,
and guess I will make slowly some progress. I will see that I setup a
github repo so that others can also work on it.

> of us on Linux can do this fairly easily, of course, but it's
> harder for people on OSX (or, God forbid, Windows). I confess that
> the one time I tried to

I agree. I was using Linux for more then 10 years and was very happy
with it - Ubuntu and Awesome window manager (
http://awesome.naquadah.org/ ) - a dream...

But then came the chance of getting a new laptop, and the Retia
display was there - well. and now I am using OSX.

But coming back, I am really missing the package management in Linux -
apt is so much easier then manually looking for updates, downloading
them, ....

And then there came homebrew, which works very nicely, and does, in
contrast to Macports, not require root privileges.

I will keep you posted about the progress - and if somebody has any
experience with homebrew recipes, any input is welcome.

> compile LyX on OSX I failed and gave up.

Never tried it directly - only homebrew, and that works very smoothly.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Richard

- --