On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Vance Turnewitsch
<vance.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and lyx 2.0.7. I'm trying to add a BibxText
> database; but lyx is giving the following error upon starting up with a
> document that already has a database or trying to add the database:
> BibTeX Parser: Unable to read key for entry type:book.
>
> I was using the earlier version of lyx that Ubuntu supplies in its repos;
> but it also had the same error.

Hi Vance,

the most likely cause of your error is a malformed bibtex entry, and
especially a strange character in the key. Notice that you cannot use
accented characters, only standard ascii.
There are several ways to find out if that's the case. You can inspect
the bib file manually, or use a bib editor/manager that would check
for you (such as jabref).
Or even just a bibtex aware editor that allows you to compact all
entries into a single line (such as Kate, on linux).

Hope it helps,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org