> > LyX is already installed.
> > Please uninstall LyX first.
> >
> > WTF?!
> >
> > First, this error message is *wrong*, since I don't have LyX
> > "installed". I use it in portable mode.
>
> Can you give me more information please. What LyX version are you
> using?

LyX Version 2.1.0beta2
(Sonntag, 10. November 2013)

> From where did you get the portable LyX?

It was called LyTeX, and I have been using it since well before 2.0,
the download location has moved since and the software has been updated.
And I'm using it with TeXLive of course, not with MikTeX like the
version that is now available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lytex/.

> This error message should only occur if you try to install LyX 2.1rc1
> over LyX 2.1rc1. This is checked by the Windows registry.

There can be nothing in the registry, since I don't have authorisation
to write to the registry on this computer. Which is a restriction
that's just as compulsive and imperious as those idiotic installers
are. Seems the most important concern of certain people is to prevent
others from being able to do their work.

> Hmm, or did you once installed LyX 2.1beta? If so you must
> uninstall LyX 2.1beta first (these were testing releases (for
> LyX-only not the installer nor LyX's dependencies) so that an easy
> upgrade is not possible).

A "dumb" installer would simply overwrite the previous installation and
that would be the thing to do. Yes, I do make a backup of the "working"
LyX before I overwrite it.

> > Second, what's that bullshittish idea
>
> Could you please be a bit more polite. You apparently found a bug but
> there is no reason to be abusive!

I guess that implementing the "check" function is an extra effort to
make, which is totally pointless imho. I see exactly *zero* "added
value" from this "function" (actually a refusal to provide a required
function). The installer just shouldn't care for whether LyX is already
installed or not and overwrite everything, basta.

Looks like someone wanted to be extra-smart, but this only prevents
people from being able to do what they need to do. Which, to me, is
compulsive, imperious and totally braindead, if you prefer these
adjectives to "bullshittish".

Just like "installers" (resp. software requiring those) are anyway.
User-friendly software has to be packaged as simple zero-install zip
archives. And the Windows "registry" is only good as an open barn door
for viruses, trojans and other malware.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang