On 2014-04-07, Murat Yildizoglu wrote:

> I use Lyx under OSX Mavericks.
> I have discovered a small problem in beta2 yesterday: \Omega is invisible
> in a math inset (but becomes visible when the cursor leaves it).
> I have consequently installed the RC1 to check if this problem has been
> solved. It seems that it is replaced by a smaller one: \Omega is replaced
> by W in the math inset (but appears as \Omega out of it. \VarOmega has also
> a problem by the way.

I suppose, this is a problem of the installed screen-font.
I also suppose, you use the "instant-preview", that replaces the math inset
with a LaTeX rendering when not editing it.

Are the \Omegas the only affected letters or does this affect all the Greek
symbols?

Are you able to see Greek letters in other editors?

> I attach a small lyx file in which you could check the problem (maybe it is
> OSX only, I cannot check it).
> Can you confirm it on OSX or other OS?

> I have also observed another point that bugs me a little bit (maybe I am
> missing the rationale of this): When I am typing math and try to insert a
> superscript or an exponent to an expression using ^ Lyx uses instead an
> accented letter if this letter accepts an accent (like i, j, e, etc.). One
> than gets x\hat{\imath}  instead of x^{i} . It would be nice to neutralize
> in math insets this default behavior that is perfectly reasonable in a word
> in rm.

It seems you use a keymap with "dead keys". This is usually not a
LyX-specific, but a system wide setting.

If you like it (generally), you may just keep it and remember to press the
accents *twice* for literal insertion or passing on to the math-editor:

   press   x ^ ^ i
   to get  x^{i}

If you don't like it, use a different keymap, either globally or for LyX
(unfortunately, I don't know how to select the keymap under OSX).

Günter