On May 6, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Ider Ronneberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem in lyx displaying the angstom symbol using \AA within the
> math mode, i.e. if I want to view the document as pdf the angstrom sign is
> not there. However it works if I write \AA in Tex mode or insert it from
> Insert>Special Charecters> Symbols...
>
> On the bottom pane of the lyx display, there is a short info message. In one
> case it says "Type: simple Macro:AA"  and in the other case ( which works)
> it just says "Type: simple". What is the difference? How can resolve this
> issue?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ider

The problem is that \AA is a text mode command, not meant for equation
environments. In LyX, I get the correct output if I enter the Å symbol from the
keyboard (shift-option-A on the Mac). In an equation, LyX then replaces that
symbol by \mathring{A}, which displays properly in the PDF output. So you could
alternatively also enter \mathring{A} in the LyX math editor.