On 2014-04-28, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 04/27/2014 04:05 PM, Roman Inflianskas wrote:

>> It works well except one thing: paragraphs after lists (itemize) are
>> not indented (layout uses indention instead of skip between
>> paragraphs).

>> The problem is that there is no empty line after list, so LaTeX
>> doesn't indent phrase "Text continues...". I've tried different
>> gives me correctly indented text in the LyX but not in the generated
>> PDF (or tex).

> The way LyX is doing this is correct.

I don't think so:

* There are two use cases:

  a) list embedded in a paragraph,
  b) list as a separate paragraph.

* In LaTeX, these are input as

    First use case
    \begin{enumerate}
      \item list embedded in a paragraph,
    \end{enumerate}
    Continue

    Second use case:

    \begin{enumerate}
    \item list as a separate paragraph.
    \end{enumerate}

    Continue.

  i.e. with/without empty lines separating the list from the rest.

* In LyX, embedding would usually be done via "nesting", however:

  * you cannot nest something into a paragraph,

  * despite the list beeing input as separate paragraph, LyX exports it to
    LaTeX as embedded into the enclosing text:

> An environment, in principle, is part of the paragraph in which it
> appears, unless you explicitly say otherwise.

This specific LyX behaviour is at least questionable.

The clean/consistent way would be only to embedd nested environments.

(BTW: Mathematical equations (displaymath) are

 * a separate paragraph if surrounded by whitespace
 * embedded if "glued" to the surrounding text without whitespace.

 The problem ist, that as whitespce is not visible in the LyX window, you
 get a surprise result...)

> And, typographically, you should not want to indent the
> following material by default. You should do so only if it begins a new
> paragraph, i.e., a new set of ideas.

Yes, but in LyX, when I press the Return button, I do so to start a new
paragraph. When in spite of this I want to embedd something, I nest it.

> Word(TM) has done this wrong for so long that it has confused people.

LyX has had a bug with space-separated pragraphs for so long (simply
increasing parskip so that the space around lists was too large) that this
also confused both users and developers.

The typography is finally up to the document class (I would not indent
a new paragraph after a list). However we need a way to distinguish embedded
lists from lists as separate paragraphs.

Currently, LyX embeds by default and provides a hack for separating:

> If you DO want to indent the next paragraph, then put a "--Separator--"
> enviroment after your list.

Alternatively, you can use ERT (which is, of course, also a hack).

While I don't think this is "correct", it may be the most pragmatic way to
keep the behaviour.

Günter