Le mercredi 21 mai 2014 à 08:02 -0400, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> [...]
> >> Also, which version of LyX are you using?
> >
> > It's LyX 2.0.6, right from the Debian repository (but I think I had
> > noticed that already some time ago). Wonder if it's still the case in
> > 2.1.
>
> It is still the case. It turns out it has to do with the babel
> definition for French. Take a look at
> ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/unix/tex/CTAN/language/babel/contrib/frenchb/frenchb.pdf
> See section 2.11:
> In French the first paragraph of each section should be indented, this
> is another difference with US-English.

Understood. Long ago I used to achieve this with the indenfirst package,
but it looks like frenchb wants to take care of this now.

Now, the frenchb definitions appear to override the settings in LyX.
With the help of your link, I was able to cancel the frenchb default
behavior with

\AtBeginDocument{\frenchbsetup{IndentFirst=false}}

but this way, the 1st paragraph _never_ gets indented, regardless of the
"indent paragraph" box being checked or not.

> I'm not sure how LyX could know this. We could make a list of how
> things currently are in babel and hope the indentations don't change
> often. Parsing the language definition files is probably overkill.
>
> Scott

I agree that it looks unreasonably complicated. frenchb is very heavy
and intrusive. I often wish it would _just_ look after indentation.
--
Daniel CLEMENT