On 05/29/2014 09:20 AM, Benedict Holland wrote:

Thank you for all the fine ideas. I will try to think about how to better approach the problem. I suppose the huge feature request would be to make ERT into an expansive latex or tex editor with defined functions like in an editor such as MikTex. I don't have time right now to tackle the problem but that seems like the not so hacky way to deal with it.

If you're going to use huge ERT, then it would likely be better to have the LaTeX code in a separate file and include it using Insert> File> Child Document. This works with TeX files as well as LyX files. You can then right click on the inset and choose "Edit included file", which will open whatever program you configure under Tools> Preferences.

Richard