On June 3, 2014 at 11:25:06 AM, Steve Burnham (dan...@gmail.com) wrote:

I am working through some formatting revisions from my thesis office and have a
couple of initial questions:

1.  My degree on the cover page was originally written on one line but it is
supposed to use three lines and double spaced.  I have it set to three lines
now but cannot get it double spaced.  Also, when I move it to three lines a new
blank page is created at the beginning of the document causing the title page
to become a numbered page.  Instead, the vertical whitespace surrounding the
degree title should simply be reduced to accommodate.

I tried to fix this by adding \begin{doublespace} and \end{doublespace} around
the degree title in the preamble but this resulted in errors so I am still
stuck on this one.

2.  I have a numbered list where the spacing between each number is greater
than the spacing of the rest of the document.  The space before the first
number and after each subsequent number should be the same double space as the
rest of the document and the double spacing occurring within each numbered
item.  It looks like I should use the Enumitem package to fix this but I’m only
finding examples on how to use it to change horizontal spacing, not vertical.
Could someone help with this?
I managed to fix this one after some more lengthy searching.  I added the
following to my preamble:

\usepackage{enumitem}
\setlist{nolistsep}

% no big dumb spaces inbetween list items
\let\oldenumerate=\enumerate
\def\enumerate{%
%\vspace{-5mm}
\oldenumerate%
\setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}%
\setlength{\parskip}{-1pt}%
}

% no big dumb spaces inbetween list items
\let\olditemize=\itemize
\def\itemize{%
\olditemize%
\setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}%