Sorry about the last email. I tried a complex one from my phone and I
shouldn't have bothered. It is very possible that latex natively supports
.eps. I have found that converting an EPS to PDF and using that within Lyx
makes life much easier. I don't know if Lyx SHOULD work natively with EPS
or really PS files but I know that EPS to PDF is lossless. Both are vector
graphics. I also know that lyx natively works with PDFs as child documents.

I also read that unless you are using a PDF as an image, you have to
declare EPS as an extension. I don't know why. I also don't know how this
SHOULD work but I have used 5 different file formats extensively. What I
would suggest doing is converting the EPS to a PDF. I don't know why that
is a problem. Again, nothing should be lost in this transition. EPS to SVG
I know loses nothing and EPS to PDF, when I have done it, print exactly the
same. Does the program crash if EPS is declared as a valid graphics type?
If it doesn't crash and works, might I suggest just using it? If making the
EPS into a PDF also works and your document compiles, might I also suggest
using that? I don't think either fixes the core crash but if you can make
it work fairly easily, I would personally prefer to have a document work
with a minor hack than not have a document work at all.

~Ben