On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 8:38 AM, ashutosh vishwa bandhu
<ashutos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I accidentally deleted my Lyx system directory /usr/share/lyx/ in Ubuntu
> 11.04. Now, I get the following message when I try to start Lyx
>
> " Unable to determine the system directory having searched /usr/share/lyx/.
> Use the '-sysdir' command line parameter or set the environment variable
> LYX_DIR_20x to the LyX system directory containing the file `chkconfig.ltx'.
> "
>
> Reinstalling Lyx or copying the above folder from other systems is not
> helping.

I find it strange that reinstalling LyX does not create
/usr/share/lyx. Are you sure you did purge and not remove? Can you
please post the output of

    sudo apt-get purge lyx && sudo apt-get install lyx

I would normally suggest trying the LyX PPA:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXOnUbuntu#toc3

But I don't think we support 11.04.

Best,

Scott