thank you - changing the path in the "Preferences -> Paths -> Document templates:" box to
/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/templates
solved the problem for me.

On 16/07/2014 18:25, Stephen Buonopane wrote:
On the Mac installation, they get buried inside of the app package.

Find LyX.app in your applications folder
Right click on it and select "show package contents"
Then go to Contents -> Resources -> templates

On my installation of LyX,
File -> New from Template goes to /Library/ApplicationSupport/LyX/templates
so that may be a more convenient place for the templates to be placed.