Ross Boylan wrote:
> Is using graphicx without options OK?  The LaTeX Companion 2nd edition
> p. 614 seems to imply a driver must be specified.

Normally, graphicx is able to detect the appropriate driver itself. So, yes,
it is OK to pass no option (in normal cases).

> I'm not sure where the first \usepackage{graphicx} is coming from; I
> have a feeling LyX is adding it when the document has an included
> graphic

Correct.

> (since it does not appear before I insert the graphic and I
> don't see a reference to it in nih.cls or article.cls).  Is there any
> way to modify its options?

To suppress the automatic loading of the package, add to Document > Settings >
Local Format or alternatively to your lyx layout file the following:

Provides graphicx 1

If you want to load graphicx with different options instead, add instead:

PackageOptions graphicx pdftex

Regards
Jürgen