I also write on and off German language texts, and though I have a
German Mac keyboard as spare at home and will connect it if I write
something long, I really would like to be able to easily/quickly
type the German Umlaute in lower and Upper case on the standard (US)
keybopard.

Alt-s is helpful, but I can't find the others.

ERT is not only Evil, it also takes 4-5 Keystrokes for the price of
one :-)-O

Any ideas, perhaps for assignments to key combinations?

greetings, el