On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Jim Oldfield <quietbritish...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I believe it depends on what bibliography style you're using. For dcu, at
> least, you can change "and" by adding the following to your preamble:
>
> \renewcommand{\harvardand}{i}
>
> However, for "et al." and "in" (used for articles in collections) you would
> need to edit the style file. Note that "et al." is Latin, not English, so
> depending on the conventions used in Croatian you may not need to change
> it.
> (In English you occasionally see "and others" used in citations, but it is
> quite rare.)
>
> All the above is about natbib. I don't know anything about biblatex or
> biber.

Biblatex allows you to customize all the usual bibliography strings,
including "and"  and the "et al." ("and" and "andothers" in biblatex
parlance).
Usually all these strings come in an .lbx file specific to the language you
are using. There is a croatian.lbx file in texlive's standard distribution
of biblatex, and it has the following two translation for "and" and
"andothers"

  and              = {{i}{i}},
  andothers        = {{i drugi}{i dr\adddot}},

So it looks like the author of croatian.lbx has a different opinion on how
to translate "et al." I speak no Croatian, and can't say if she is correct.

You can force biblatex to use your system-provided croatian.lbx file by
passing the option language=croatian when you call biblatex (even though it
should do so automatically if you use babel/polyglossia and specify the
document's language as croatian).

A full explanation of Biblatex's multilanguage capabilities is in the
manual, look especially at sections 3.8 and 4.9. You will also find
explained how to provide localized translations for  your document only
(instead of system-wide).

Notice that if you switch from bibtex to biblatex (in LyX) you need to call
biblatex from the preamble--there is only partial support for biblatex at
the moment. LyX's wiki page on biblatex explain how to set it up. I have
been using biblatex exclusively for a few years now and it works well with
LyX, once you get into the habit of following the wiki's instructions.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi

stefano.fran...@gmail.com <stef...@tamu.edu>