On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I installed LyX on PC-BSD and it errors out that I don't have
> > article.cls. I have a feeling that PC-BSD has much fewer depends than
> > most Linuxes. Is anyone running LyX on PC-BSD, and if so, what tips can
> > you give me?
>
> I'm running LyX on standard FreeBSD, so I don't what difference that
> may make, but I seem to recall seeing that, and I think what fixed it
> was to (re)install print/textlive-full.
>
> --
> Will
>
> For what it's worth, I recently installed LyX on my desktop with Linux
Mint and I think I had the same "problem". Once I installed more of the
texlive-* packages (based on what I wanted/needed), it went away. I think
this is fine though since LaTeX isn't really needed to have LyX. So I think
it's not really a problem. I think it should be fine for them to be
installed separately, especially on an OS that has a decent package
management system with both in the standard repositories, and it's not
always clear what latex distribution the person wants to use anyway (so
they should decide independently rather than being forced into it by the
dependencies).

All this got me a little curious, so I used apt-rdepends to ask what the
dependencies for lyx actually were. Here is some of the output from that
(the parts I thought were relevant):
 lyx
  Depends: libboost-regex1.54.0
  Depends: libboost-signals1.54.0