On Sat, 4 Oct 2014, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

Actually, it's possible. In Tools > Preferences > Edit > Shortcuts, you
can find the following command sequence bound to "Tab":
"command-alternatives completion-accept;cell-forward;tab-insert;depth-
increment;outline-in"

If you swap completion-accept and cell-forward, you should get the desired
behavior.

Jürgen,

  I swapped completion-accept and cell-forward, applied/saved/closed the
dialog box, shut down LyX, and reloaded it. When I press the [Tab] key in a
table the cursor moves one cell left instead of right. That behavior is
supposed to be assigned to tab-back, not tab.

  Suggestions on what else to try would be most welcome.

Rich