On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Asger Alstrup Nielsen wrote:
[...]
> So now, what needs to be done to make LyX truly portable is this:
> 
> 1) Design and implement new metric-stuff for insets, such that they use the new
> painter.
> 2) Finish the moving of popups to frontends - in particular an "rgrep -B
> FORMS_LOCATION *" in the src directory should come up with very few hits.
> 3) Fix the cursor in screen.C to use a painter.
> 4) Implement picture/pixmap support in the painter (it's there, but untested).
> 5) Implement copying between two painters.  This would allow screen.C to be
> fully portable, thus abstracting all drawing on the canvas.
> 6) Implement an abstraction of the canvas.
> 7) Make the figinset use the new painter.
> 8) The metric and drawing stuff in LyXFont.h has to go.
> 
> Some of these are big: 1), 2) and 6).  The rest should be small ones, and
> doable in a few hours.  Please go ahead and work on it if you have time. 
> Unfortunately I'm finding it hard to find time to do it myself, but I'll always
> find time to answer questions.

If I'm really lucky I'll have time for stuff other than bug fixing in
about a week and half...

> --
> 
> Since the state of Fltk is in a flux, another serious candidate for a toolkit
> is GTK--.  The 1.0 release is close (sic), and GTK+ has been ported to MS
> Windows.
> GTK-- has the best toolkit interface I have ever seen.  It's better than Qt,
> IMO, and you would never think that it's a wrapper around GTK+ unless you knew
> it.

Definitely.  fltk was to be used as a replacement for xforms while
Gtk-- I hope will be our path to Gnomeification (if I can invent a word),
since its considerably easier for us to port to than any of xforms, fltk,
gtk+ which all require us to do the wrapping up.  (And its signal/slot
mechanism is much nicer than Qt's IMO).

Allan. (ARRae)

P.S. From the discussions on slashdot it would appear a group of fltk
users will continue to develop and support it but Bill Spitzak (fltk's
creator) has been shafted by DD (Digital Domain)

Reply via email to