Hi Jim,

Woolly would be a device that services memory in the low address range and
responds to new I/O addresses, and would have an onboard 8MB flash chip.  As
such, serving OptROM images is one of the planned services.  If I can make the
protocol look like REX, then no new 8085 software would be needed.

The FPGA / CPLD is used to decode the 8085 bus signals to determine write
operations to the OptROM socket.  This is needed to perform SRAM replacement in
that address region and be able to write to that SRAM.  Also it decodes new I/O
port numbers to provide WiFi, disk and REX operations.

With a large enough FPGA, you could do other things, such as add a floating
point coprocessor, etc.  However larger = more expensive and shorter battery
life.

It is hard to guess price right now ... it depends on too many factors.
Developing a PCB has both one time setup charges as well as per board charges.
The one time charges have to be amortized over the number of boards expected to
sell.  A $5k setup fee spread over 200 units would add $25 to the raw board
cost.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone