On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:04 AM, megarat <mega...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A good counter-argument to this is that if using a computer as a
> foundation for building your new device is the easiest, cheapest, and/or
> quickest way to do it, then those benefits might be worth the cost of
> having the computer involved.

I'd agree with that.

The Pi is also small and a popular platform. Lots of support and
peripherals. It kind of future proofs us. It makes it possible to extend
the system yourself or with applications written by others.

But for that same reason there's a lot of stuff to "turn off" or configure
for our purpose and possibly some hardware beyond just the I/O to make it
stable.

Persistent linux filesystems are not compatible with being hard power
cycled. Journaling filesystems help but even those seem to get corrupted in
my experience.

https://github.com/wware/rpi-shutdown
https://hackaday.io/project/25107-single-supercapacitor-ups-for-raspberry-pi
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-ups-uninterrupted-power-supply-raspberry-pi/