Long story short:

SUCCESS!!!!!! My M10 is working fine.
Thank you
everyone for the huge help and usefull advise provided in the past and
recently.
A BIG THANK YOU to Francesco Messineo I think you neiled the
issue and the chain of event that caused the RAM to fail.

Litthe
explanation of the repair process:

Removed M3, M4 (decoders), M7, M8,
M9 (all my RAM Modules).
Tested M3 and M4 with a TL866 -> good
Installed
IC machined sockets.
Installed M3 and M4 back in place
Installed only
one RAM module in M9 position
PC tested -> FAIL
Replaced RAM Module
PC
tested -> FAIL
Replaced RAM Module with the last one available

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Out of 3, I have 2 broken RAM modules :)

I think I
don't need another M10 unless I don't want to restore/expand the RAM
size.
Do I have other options? Is REX available for the M10?

Thank you
everyone

Mauro

Il 04.12.2018 12:08 mau...@tiscali.it ha scritto:

Sounds possible, thank you!!
> For the same reason and to get used to
the new desoldering tool I'll first remove and test the 2 decoders M3
and M4 (40138).

wrote:

>>> Checking some signals with the oscilloscope it looks like
it is looping after a fix time without completing the boot. Francesco
Messineo (another user of this list) wrote me in this days to offer some
help and he suspect I damaged the RAM. Thank you again Francesco. I
bought a desoldering iron and I hope in the next few days I'll find the
time to try removing all RAM modules and fit one at a time in the first
socket (hoping one module is still alive).

>> I actually suggested
the RAM could be damaged when he opened SW3 (the
>> RAM backup power)
with SW5 (the main power switch) closed is that some
>> logic and the
RAM have Vb as Vdd rail and almost the rest of the
>> system has Vdd
derived from Vp (via the dual output inverter). Now, if
>> you look at
the schematic, SW3 removes both Vb and Vp, but, on Vb
>> there's only a
few bypass capacitors to ground plus 1 uF electrolytic,
>> so it might
discharge quickly, while on Vp there's at least one 470uF
>> capacitor
plus another 470uF on the output of the inverter on Vdd side
>> (yes,
also much more logic powering from it, but stil...).
>> What might
happen in this case is that the Vb got quickly to 0V with
>> still some
inputs of the chips powered from it have something like +5V
>> applied;
in this case, the protection diodes on the input start
>> conducting and
some of them might get shorted or degraded from this
>> current. It
happened a few times on logic that I designed that had a
>> backup power
for CMOS RAM, I had to make sure that all inputs to the
>> RAM were
either following Vbackup or already switched to logic 0
>> before
removing the backup power.
>> So in this situation I would examine all
the logic powered directly
>> from Vb and that includes the RAMs.
Usually a quick test with a
>> multimeter (with all circuits powered
off) from each input pin to Vdd
>> pin of the chips can show if there's
some damaged input protection
>> diode.
>>
>> HTH
>> Frank IZ8DWF
>>

>>> Sent from my iPad On 03/dic/2018, at 19:06, Jan Vanden Bossche
wrote: Mauro, What do you need to repair your M-10? Greetings from the
TyRannoSaurus Jan-80 ________________________________ From: Mauro Pintus
To: m...@bitchin100.com [3] Sent: Saturday, 1 December 2018, 16:12
Subject: Re: [M100] Olivetti M-10's for a new home Thank you Jeff,
really appreciated. Now I keep my finger crossed :) Have a nice day
Mauro On Dec 1, 2018, at 3:59 PM, Jeffrey Birt wrote: Mauro, You have a
need for them, so you should have them if the original person does not
speak up. Fixing your machine is a better use. I have no specific need,
just thought it would be neat to have a machine with AZERTY keyboard.
Jeff_Birt From: M100 On Behalf Of Mauro Pintus Sent: Saturday, December
1, 2018 7:50 AM To: m...@bitchin100.com [5] Subject: Re: [M100] Olivetti
M-10's for a new home I was soo exited I didn't see the other answer
from Jeffrey, I'm sorry... Hope we can find an agreement, I'm really
interested but I don't want bother anyone. Mauro On

> Con OpenStar
hai Giga, SMS e i minuti che vuoi da 4,99EUR al mese, per sempre. Cambi
gratis quando e come vuoi e in più hai 10EUR di credito omaggio e 6 mesi
di INFINTY! http://tisca.li/myopen [7]

Con OpenStar hai Giga, SMS e i minuti che vuoi da 4,99€ al mese, per sempre.
Cambi gratis quando e come vuoi e in più hai 10€ di credito omaggio e 6 mesi di
INFINTY! http://tisca.li/myopen