> Having recently changed the backup battery and several capacitors I find that
> now the display "flickers"; i.e. it varies intensity while in operation
> despite the adjustment of the VR remaining constant.  I don't have much
> experience but I believe it was stable before commencing work.
>
> Just now I was working in the BASIC editor and after a few minutes noticed
> the display occasionally making subtle variations in intensity.  As time went
> on the variations became more frequent and the swings in intensity wider.
>
> Finally the display went blank, and now when I turn the unit on I cannot
> adjust the VR to get any display at all.  This happens under alkaline power
> or from the 6 VDC adapter.  Something is failing but I don't know what: The
> variable resistor?  Capacitor?  Bad connection at the motherboard?
>
> Can someone suggest a likely place to start?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -CH-

Does the contrast adjustment work to adjust the intensity of all
pixels even when the display is "dead"? Is BASIC still functional when
the screen is dead? (The "cold-start, <Enter>, BEEP<enter>" test).

I've seen / heard of the contrast pot failing, and you can test that
in-situ pretty easily to make sure the adjustment is smooth.

-Josh