If I get anything working, I will definitely be bragging about it here. :)

A sequencer feels like it's going to need some assembly language for the
timer callback. I'm passably comfortable with 8080 assembly language, but
I'm still working out the development toolchain. BYTEIT.BA is a great
little assembler, but it's SO slow. To date, I've only put together a BASIC
callable routine that will uppercase or lowercase a string in-place.

I suspect I'll need to resort to cross-platform tools and VirtualT for any
more serious coding.