While looking for other possible uses for the 3d-printed modified molex carrier and matching pcb, I discovered the Epson PX-8, which has a z80 and runs cp/m, so, I would guess that means there is even already at least some sort of body of code to use cp/m on a device like this. I guess that doesn't actually mean much besides "expects a screen this small" because all the actual hardware must be completely different. But then again, you will already be having to make cp/m deal with the hardware, so maybe existing software won't be so far off from working after all.

The fact that the resulting machine will run cp/m (or any generic os) definitely saves this idea from being interesting but inexplicable. It's awesome.

...and please forgive me going off on a tangent now... that just made me think of the opposite direction, instead of a generic os like cp/m, a Model I/III mode. "Model 1 on a stick!"

No good answer for the screen though. Just not enough pixels to get 64x16 characters even with the "Tom Thumb" 3x6 font, so it would need a screen hanging off the printer, serial, or bus ports.

Then again, a Model 1 mode could maybe work with a DVI.

Except then you have to live with the character generator in the dvi and couldn't fully replicate the model 1 character set. Mostly no problem since the m1 has fewer characters and mostly just the basics, but the block graphics are different. M1 has glyphs made of 6 squares per cell. DVI has ones made of 4 squares. But hmm, dvi has 80x25 cells, M1 has only 64x16... so dvi has more total "pixels" at 160x50 than M1 at 128x48, so you could map a purely graphics M1 image onto a dvi. Where text and graphics are mixed, no good answer, just have to pick a closest matching glyph by overall appearance.

Then again... given a generic os like cp/m, maybe it can simply run a model 1 emulator as an application. Especially since this one would have 5 to 8 mhz to work with, to emulate a machine that only ran at 1.8 mhz.