The other argument is when you release software or designs into the
community one also takes on performing support. So correcting dangerous
machine crashing characters in text files efficiently and effectively
pre-empts support work, prevents crashes and helps users.

In any event the decision of whether to make such a feature is up to the
maintainer.

LaddieAlpha does this fix. It also detects untokenized files misnamed .BA
and corrects the to .DO. LaddieAlpha is a disk service with no way to pop
warnings or prompts so the feature is always on. If you don't want to
trigger the feature, do not inload files that have EOF (ctrl-z) or NUL
embedded.

For my part, if anyone ever discovers an uncontrived example where this
causes a real problem I'll consider adding an option to laddiealpha to
disable the feature. Barring that it would just add complexity. Code that
does not exist cannot have bugs.

-- John.