Padding with spaces to 8-characters for the base name (the part before extension), right?
Correct.

Every client I've seen so far pads it out. Not sure why. Well, with STARDISK I understand why. With a '.' the padding is not really necessary.

But because all the clients do, LaddieAlpha presents filenames as padded to the client to avoid triggering dependency bugs based on assuming base names come back padded.

If I get VT going to where I can test I can finish it. I'll test the high speed stuff with Steve's image utility, but you'll need to add it too to IMPORT/EXPORT since LaddieAlpha will be started in one mode for CP/M operation and generally stay in that mode. Wouldn't want to have to exit and start back up with different options.
Sure thing. I'll need three versions of IMPORT/EXPORT to cover all cases: 6.2, 8.3, 8.3 high speed. That's fine.

Philip

-- John.