A-ha! Thanks Gary. Studying Brian's photos I see that wasn't originally a rechargeable pack. My (8201a) pack has the 70K ohm resistor on the "set" lines & Ni is bridged to positive. They could have easily used the NEC charging method as it presents 8.4V to pin 5 of the connector (8201a).

Slow charging Ni-MH is a black art so I figured I'll do some experiments to see how long it takes to fully recharge. I'll write a program which saves elapsed time & leave the machine on continuously until it turns off from low-power. By adjusting charging times, I'll figure out optimum charge-time.

Philip