Jonathan,

The difference is that your use case is this:
'M100 (CP/M) --->  RS-232--->FTDI --> USB--->PC'

(that is to say, I think you are running M100CP/M on REXCPM)

In this case, stock VT100 works fine because there are no custom M100 ESC
codes.

Just to reiterate,
If the goal is to extend the native M100 OS to leverage external video,
then you have to have an external video solution that can cope with the
necessary 6 additional ESC codes.

Here is an example of why.
In M100 BASIC, you can lock the bottom row of the screen to show the
setting of the Function keys.   Such a function does not exist in standard
VT100.

..Steve