Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to take a measurement of your display.  You are
right.  The clamping tabs don’t allow a great deal of adjustment (or clamping
force — more on this).

The manufacturer recommends 10% compression, with 5% compression minimum.  This
compression percentage has to take into account a +/- 0.127mm manufacturing
tolerance for the zebra strip, as well as any tolerance stackup from the bezel
and glass.

Unless someone has manufacturing drawings for the glass and bezel (could we be
so lucky?)  The best we can do is measure a number of displays and see where
they fall.

My display measured 3.3mm glass-to-board (measurements of individual parts
disassembled, assembled dimension by averaging and subtraction).  After
conversation with the manufacturer's technical guy, he suggested the 3.74mm
dimension used for the first prototypes based on his experience and our
application.

These first tests suggest we might need to be closer to a 5% squeeze,
especially in light of the measurements you took of your display.

I’m optimistic we can find a dimension that hits the sweet spot for all or
nearly all of displays in existence.  It will just some displays and some work.

I won’t place a full order until its pretty clear we’re on the right track.
Thanks again for taking the time to take the measurements.

Out of curiosity, how did you take your measurement?  Is anyone else wiling to
take the same measurement?

—Jamie