I can tell you one thing for sure, the REX has no effect on the modem.

But you can prove that to yourself by just removing it. It doesn't hurt anything and it won't even lose it's programming. Just pop it out, and see that it made no difference.

Have you tested the line with a plain analog telephone?

Have you verified the modem cable doesn't have a broken wire?

Since you are talking about dialing vs answering, is the the ANS-ORIG switch in the ORIG position? (Answer vs Originate)

Measure the voltage between tip & ring when the the modem is on-hook. It should be 48vdc

Measure the current on either tip or ring when the modem is off-hook. It should be about 20ma, at around 9vdc (actually a wide range from 3 to 12)