Yeah, definitely something amiss with bits 2 and 3. When I looked at a few
characters it happened that they all became 0 instead of 1 and it was just
dropping bits, but apparently it's also reading a 1 instead of 0 in some
cases.

The M100 printer port is not 100% Centronics-compatible and it's also
partially shared with the keyboard, so there might be a timing issue; I'm
guessing you don't have another computer with a parallel printer port that
you could try?