thanks for your email.
i might have fixed the problem in mail but not sure until i get new email. i went into the mail preferences and got some message about invalid certificate and something about verifying servers and i think i may have had this problem before when i first used my macbook with leopard and mail. i checked the box for show certificate and there was some checkbox in the dialogue which i remembered checking last time to accept my mail server as a valid server. when i configured mail after doing a fresh install of mac osx with lion, my settings were downloaded from bt as imap when mail got the network settings. it seemed to insist on imap going through the automatic setup than pop.

----- Original Message -----
From: James AUSTIN <james.aus...@mac-access.net
To: Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility <mac-access@mac-access.net
Date sent: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:45:37 +0000
Subject: Re: email applications and voiceover

Hi Michael,

There is Mozilla's Thunderbird, but I don't know if it is
accessible. Also, i do not think it has been updated in some time. If you want to try it though, you can get it from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've also been thinking about your lost E-Mail, and m wondering
if you're using POP (Post Office Protocol), to receive your messages. POP downloads your mail locally to your computer. So, when it is downloaded, it is no longer available on the server. Also, some mail services require you to set certain functions from the server side. Can you set the ability to see "Sent" messages from there?
TC :)