Thank you very much! Working fine.

Karen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Red.Falcon" <velocity.focu...@virginmedia.com>
To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: Dock issue

Hi Karen!
Here is some instructions to get that part of the doc working for you!
this should apply to the apps  as well!
Colin

Folders that are placed into the Dock by default are set up to work with Stacks, I believe. What you want to do is navigate to the folder in your dock, and bring up the contextual menu with VO-Shift-M. If you use VO-Down arrow to move through the options, you'll find categories for "Sort by", "Display as", and "View content as". These are headings for the categories, and will be announced as "dimmed". The arguments you can check under "Sort by" are: "Name", "Date Added", "Date Modified", "Date Created", and "Kind", with "Name" checked as the default. It's the options in the "Display as" and "View content as" categories that you'll want to change. I set "Display as" to "Folder" instead of "Stack", and I set "View content as" to "List". I don't remember what the default setting of "View content as" is -- it may be "Automatic" or "Fan", but when the contents come up and are not in "List" mode VoiceOver doesn't announce them.

You need to bring the context menu up for each item you want to change. So if you want to view your contents as "List", navigate to the folder, use VO-Shift-M, and VO-Down arrow to "List" then press return. Then if you want to display as "Folder", use VO-Shift-M again, arrow down to "Folder" and press return. You can use either the up and down arrow keys alone, or in combination with the VoiceOver Control and Option keys to navigate these menus. The difference is that you won't hear the category headings of "Sort by", "Display as", or "View content as" announced if you use the arrow keys alone without the VO keys. For anything you do apart from this initial setup, using just the arrow keys by themselves will give you all the information.

Once you have set up the folder to be displayed as a folder and viewed as a list, you can just navigate to the folder and either press space bar or VO-Space to display the list of contents. VoiceOver will announce the entries as you arrow up and down the list. Access subfolders with your right arrow key, then move through files in your subfolder with the up and down arrow keys. Return to the parent folder by using the left arrow key. You can also move to the bottom of the list with Command+Down arrow or to the top of the list with Command+Up arrow. (This seems to move to the top or bottom of the visible list, so if your list is really long, continue to arrow up or down and then press Command+Up or Down arrow again.) The very end of the menu options will be an "Options" menu (where you can reset the view options we described above) and an "Open in Finder" option. This is handy if you want to do an actual copy and paste, or a move of the file in Finder.

In addition, there's a rather neat trick if you want to move some of your iTunes folders like for Podcasts to the dock, because you can quickly navigate through the menus and start a podcast playing in iTunes from there!

Also, I've found that in the dock you can use Fn+Down Arrow to cycle between the Applications section, the Folders section, and the Trash. Fn+Up Arrow also works in the reverse direction. So this is a quick way to move to the documents section of the dock after you issue your VO-D or Control-F3 command to move to the dock.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther