Hi Ian,

It's pretty easy to create an Instapaper bookmarklet for Safari for the Mac.
For that matter, it's pretty simple to create any bookmarklet for Safari,
including the ones on the Google Translate pages.  I would create the Bookmark
so that it is saved to my Bookmarks Bar.  That way, if it is the first item in
your Bookmarks Bar, for example, just pressing Command+1 in Safari will
activate the bookmarklet.  (In the case of the Instapaper bookmarklet, this
means saving the current web page to your "Read Later" list in Instapaper.  For
other bookmarks, pressing Command+2, Command+3, etc. will take you to the web
page of the second, third, etc. bookmarks on your Bookmarks Bar.)

You're going to create a bookmark, then you'll copy the link to the bookmarklet
on the Instapaper web page, and move to the bookmark in the "Show All
Bookmarks" page of Safari.  Using the context menu to edit the URL address
you'll paste the link information into the address field of the bookmark you
created.

1. In Safari, navigate to the URL of the Instapaper Bookmarklet:
http://www.instapaper.com/extras
2. Press Command+D to create a bookmark to this page
3. In the dialog window for creating a bookmark, type "Read Later" into the
text box for the name of the bookmark
4. VO-Right arrow to the pop up menu bar for the location you choose to keep
the bookmark, press it with VO-Space, and select the "Bookmarks Bar" by typing
the first few letters (e.g. "b" or "b o") and/or use your arrow keys to move to
the selection.  Make sure you've chosen the "Bookmarks Bar" and not the
"Bookmarks Menu" item that is just after it, so you can use the Command+1, etc.
shortcut to go to this bookmark.
5. Navigate to the "Add" button and press it with VO-Space.  This adds the
bookmark and also closes the dialog window.
6. Navigate to the "Read Later" bookmarklet.  You can either navigate to the
"Read Later bookmarklet" heading, to read the instruction that will tell you to
drag to the bookmark to your Bookmarks bar, or navigate directly to the "Read
Later" link for the bookmarklet. (Navigate any way you like with the web rotor
set to headings or links, but item chooser menu is always a good option, so you
could press VO-I, then quickly type "l i n" for the links, then type "r e a d"
to find the "Read Later" bookmarklet link.  VO-Space to move  to the link.
7. VO-Shift-M to bring up the context menu and choose "Copy Link"
8. Command+Option+B to "Show All Bookmarks" in Safari.  (Comment: I usually
have my Safari view options set so that the Bookmarks Bar is hidden and the
Tool Bar is hidden.  These options can be set in the "View" menu on the menu
bar, but you can also toggle them between show and hide with Command-Shift-B
for the Bookmarks Bar and Command-Shift-Backslash for the Tool bar.  This just
simplifies using item chooser menu, since you won't get items that appear in
the tool bar or bookmarks bar mixed in with your available selections.)
9. Navigate to the "Bookmarks Bar" item in the table of collections and
highlight it by clicking with VO-Shift-Space.
10. Navigate to the table of bookmarks in the Bookmarks Bar by pressing
VO-Command-T  then interact (VO-Shift-Down Arrow).  You should be at the
position of the first bookmark in the Bookmarks Bar, which should be the "Read
Later" bookmark you just created.
11. VO-Shift-M to bring up the context menu and select "Edit Address"
12. Command-V to paste in the link you copied into the address field.
13. Command-Option-B to toggle off "Show all Bookmarks" and return to your
previous web page.  Command+Right bracket to go back to the previous page will
also work here.

You're done, and now whenever you visit a page you'd like to "Read Later" in
Instapaper on your Mac or on your iOS device, just press Command+1 to mark it.

Although I usually hide my Bookmarks Bar, on my iPad in the Settings menu I
have Safari set so that "Always Show Bookmarks Bar" has the switch set to "on".
 Then I can just flick to the "Read Later" bookmark and double tap it.

The same principle applies on any web page where you're asked to drag a
bookmark to your Bookmarks Bar.  Just bring up the context menu to copy the
link for the bookmark, then paste it into the address field of the Bookmarks
Bar item in question on the "Show All Bookmarks" page of Safari.  This is the
general way you can get java script bookmarklets to work -- you just paste the
script into the URL address fields via the context menu.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther