Hello Sadam,

When LookTel Money Reader starts up, the camera on your iPhone is immediately
activated.  There's maybe a 3 or 4 second pause before you hear "Money Reader
Running".  Once you get that message, any bills that are placed within view of
your iPhone camera, and in sufficient light, will automatically be identified.
I typically hold my iPhone 4 camera between 4 to 6 inches from the bills, for
all currency (including Australian dollars).  On the iPhone 4, and I believe
this is also true for the iPhone 4S, the light on the camera will automatically
come on if there is insufficient light to identify the bill.  (This is not true
for the iPhone 3GS -- you must first check that there is adequate lighting.)

If you have not had any success with using this app, try the following: Place
your bills in a flat stack in your left hand with the iPhone lying on top of
them.  The iPhone is in the normal orientation for use if you picked it up --
the touch screen is toward you and the home button is at the bottom.  The long
direction of the bills lies along the long direction of the iPhone, and the
width of the bills is only slightly wider than the iPhone.  You can have
everything centered and lying flat on the palm of your hand.  (If you are left
handed you can make the same arrangement with your right hand.)

Now, simply pick up the iPhone by gripping the sides of the device with your
other hand, and lift it straight up from the palm of your hand about 4 or 5
inches.  You should hear the app announce the amount, e.g., "10 dollars".
VoiceOver will continue to repeat the denomination of the bill in the camera
view.  You can also use the app on bills that are on a flat surface, but I find
it is easier to get a sense of the height and position if you first try this by
holding iPhone in one hand and the laying the bills flat in the palm of your
other hand.  You can try moving the hand that holds the iPhone to different
heights, and feel what's most comfortable for you, and how quickly the app
responds to identifying the currency.

OCR apps work best when you hold the camera fairly steady, at whatever height
you raise it to, so when you experiment, first move to a position, then keep
your hand in that position while the app runs. LookTel Money Reader should be
able to identify currency regardless of which side of the bill is facing the
camera, and it works fairly fast (e.g. tenths of seconds), so it will do pretty
well even if you don't hold the iPhone camera steady.  (However, you shouldn't
try to deliberately wave the camera around so that it is never able to focus
well on the money.)

Since the app reads whatever currency is in the camera view, it's best to have
only one bill visible at a time -- e.g. fanning out a number of bills with
different denominations will only confuse things.  You could place a stack of
bills under the camera, then remove the top bill one by one, or you could
simply place a sequence single bills under the view of the camera.

Incidentally, LookTel money reader will read out currencies whether or not
VoiceOver is running.  It uses different voices for the different currencies,
and they're just different from the VoiceOver voices.  If you want to have the
bills identified by tones instead of announcement (for more privacy), turn on
the mute switch (along the left side of your iPhone, near the top -- it's the
rectangular switch that you activate by pushing down.)  You'll hear tones with
different pitches.  One dollar will be a single, low tone.  Five dollars will
be three low tones.  Ten dollars is a single, high tone.  Twenty is two high
tones, etc.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther