Hello everybody

This point has been brought to our notice by a group member, but it is 
something we have been growing concerned about for some time.

If you ask a question on the list regarding a problem you're experiencing with 
your Apple hardware or a piece of related software, etc., could I ask that you 
please consider responding after, rather than before, you have tried the 
suggestion. Let me give you an example of what I mean.

Member "1" asks a question such as: "How do I open folder on my desktop?"
Member "2" responds by saying: "Just press Command+Down arrow when you have the 
folder highlighted."

Following that reply to the question, member "1" responds with: "Thanks, I'll 
try that".

That message then requires another response in which member "1" proudly tells 
the group that they are now able to open folders on their desktop.

To be honest, the "Thanks, I'll try that." response was really not necessary. 
Although I do concede that it's the natural thing to do in some cases.

However, may I ask you all to take a moment and just consider whether your 
response really is appropriate. Consider waiting until you've actually tried 
the suggested action, rather than responding before you do. That would not only 
help others to help you, but it would also cut down on extraneous traffic to 
the group, it would avoid wasted space in the list archives and it would also 
mean that when reviewing the traffic in the group, member "2" who made the 
initial suggestion to resolve the issue raised by member "1", and offer 
follow-up advice or suggestions if appropriate.

What Im basically saying is please take a moment to consider your responses 
before you send them.  Traffic in this group is rising steadily; an absolutely 
understandable and desirable circumstance as our membership increases. However, 
some of the traffic is unnecessary. That is why we encourage you to use the 
list archives. This has been mentioned several times both by us and also by 
fellow group members. If you take a moment to do that before you ask questions, 
you may very well find the answer to your problems in our repository of 
knowledge which is our list archive. This way you get an answer as and when you 
need it, rather than having to wait until fellow members respond.

In summary; all I'm advocating is taking a moment to consider your posts. If 
you feel that your question hasn't been adequately answered by fellow members, 
then by all means do follow up on it. But if it's simply a case of saying 
something like "Thanks, I will try that", please delay your response until 
after you have tried the suggestion, then let the group know whether or not the 
responses were adequate.

We would all appreciate your cooperation here, and I think you'll find that, by 
doing this, you encourage others to read your message. I happen to know that 
some members deliberately avoid reading post authored by other specific members 
because of this issue. That is definitely not a desirable circumstance, and we 
really hope that you don't make that avoided member be you.

Thank you again, If you wish to comment on the contents of this post, please do 
so off list, not on it. I promise you that every message which reaches 
[email protected] does get read, unless we know for sure it's spam or 
something similar. If a group member contacts us, we will always respond in 
some way.

Lynne


<--- Mac Access At Mac Access Dot Net --->

To reply to this post, please address your message to [email protected]

You can find an archive of all messages posted    to the Mac-Access forum at 
either the list's own dedicated web archive:
<http://mail.tft-bbs.co.uk/pipermail/mac-access/index.html>
or at the public Mail Archive:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/>.
Subscribe to the list's RSS feed from:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.xml>

The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and 
worm-free!

Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting the 
list website at:
<http://mail.tft-bbs.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/mac-access/options/>

Reply via email to