Hi Shaun,

• You wrote:
I've got a problem.
I need to remove a global hotkey I inadvertently setup in YoruFukurou. does
anyone know how I can do this? I've tried deleting the ap and all the prefs and
caches for it that I could find, but no dice.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to delete all configurations for an application, look in your
account's Library preferences folder and either delete the corresponding .plist
file or move it to a different location.  In the case of YoruFukurou, I'd guess
this would a file named like:
~/Library/Preferences/com.YoruFukurouProject.YoruFukurou.plist
From Finder, use the Command-Shift-G "Go to folder" shortcut, and type or paste
into the text box:
~/Library/Preferences
then press return.  This format has a leading tilde character, followed by a
slash, followed by "Library", followed by a slash, followed by "Preferences".
The tilde and slash are equivalent to the user's home directory.  So if you
don't like to use this style of leading special characters, you can break up
the above directions into two steps in Finder:
1. Command-Shift-H
2. Command-Shift-G  then type or paste in:
Library/Preferences
and press return.

Once in the Library/Preferences folder for your account, search for a file with
a name associated with the vendor and function.  For Apple's applications,
names will start with "com.apple" -- like "com.apple.mail.plist" for Mail, or
"com.apple.Safari.plist" for Safari.  For third party software, the name could
start with a different prefix, like a "net", "org", or a country domain like
"de" or "jp", or even just the name of an app without prefixes like
"stanza.plist". If you're wondering what the associated plist file is called,
an easy way to find out is to quit the application, but then navigate to the
your Library/Preferences folder and display it in list view (Command-2).  I
think that by default this view shows the files sorted according to the "Date
Modified" column, but if this is not the case, just interact with the list
view, navigate past the first column with the name of the app to the "Date
Modified" column, and use the shortcut to sort, which is VO-Shift-backslash on
an English language input keyboard.  (For the shortcut key used for other
languages, use VO-H-H to bring up the VoiceOver commands help menu and navigate
to "Tables" to check the shortcut assignment for sorting.)  Applying the
shortcut again reverses the direction of the sort.

Every time you open an application, the system opens and reads the associated
.plist file to determine your preference settings.  And every time you close an
application, the system updates and saves the current state of your preferences
in the .plist file.  If the plist is not found in that location, then a new one
is created the next time you open the application, and all the default settings
are applied.

You mentioned creating a global hotkey. I'm not sure how the YoruFukurou
program handles this, but shortcut keys that work everywhere also have
associated preference files -- probably in the keyboard shortcuts.  And the
preference list for global assignments won't be updated until you either log
out of your account (if this is set up under your preferences -- not a system
wide configuration), or reboot your computer.  So it's possible that you don't
need to delete any plist files for that app if you simply log out and log back
in again.  Or you may have to both delete the preference file and log out.

So, to summarize, application specific settings get updated when you close or
quit the application, and take effect the next time you open the application.
System wide shortcuts won't take effect until you either log out and log in
again (if this is a preference that is set up only for your account, and not
everyone's account), or until you reboot your computer (if this is a preference
setting that is changed for all users.)  The associated files are stored under
the Library/Preferences folder for your account, or on a system wide level in
the /Library/Preferences folder (with a leading slash character before
"Library" to indicate this is a system level folder).

Preference files with the ".plist" extension can be deleted or moved to another
location without problems, but you'll lose all your configuration settings and
revert to the default values.

Starting with Lion, system folders like "Library" are set to be hidden from the
user by default.  That means that you can navigate to them with the
Command-Shift-G "Go to folder" shortcut, but they won't show up if you browse
your account under Finder. If you want to unhide them, you either need to
launch Terminal (in Finder: Command-Shift-U, press "t" to go to Terminal, then
Command-Down Arrow to open) and type or paste in a command like:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
then press return to have it take effect, and quit Terminal with Command-Q.
(Note this uses the tilde slash "Library" notation, so read this character by
character or copy and paste the command.)  To hide the library again, use:
chflags hidden ~/Library/

An easier way to unhide all folders, and run other useful configurations for
your machine is to get the free Tinkertool software:
http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

Incidentally, I strongly advise that you create a second guest or test account
on your Mac, so that: a) you'll always be able to log in, even if you manage to
make changes to your own account that have bad consequences (e.g your VoiceOver
doesn't work as you intended), and b) you can tell whether problems that crop
up are local to changes you made to your account, and can be fixed by deleting
bad or corrupted preference files, or whether they are system-wide.

I also take the precaution of periodically going to my Library/Preferences
folder in list view, and copying the 50 or so most recently modified plist
files to a folder in another location, such as my Desktop. That way I can
quickly recover to older, working preferences if I do manage to change things
by just copying an older version of the plist to this folder.  Since these
files are very small, this is a fast way to revert to older settings, and its
not worth using TimeMachine to recover.

HTH.  Cheers,