I spent a bit of time poking around iBooks Author when it was first released,
and I was eventually able to enter some text and even create a table. In fact,
the table creation and navigation seems to have all the functionality many of
us long to have in Pages and TextEdit.

With regard to entering text, I think iBooks Author takes the page layout
approach similar to desktop publishing applications. This means you are not
able to just create a new document and start typing text on the page, but must
first place a frame or frames  on each page and then designate the type of
content the frame will hold.

If I had the time, I'd love to read a manual and try to work my way through
learning the ins-and-outs of this app as I have a feeling it is quite
accessible and could be useful in some situations.

-Bryan