That's interesting.  Then again, my gateway is my Time Capsule, so I can
easily extend the network outside in the yard with my Express.  I have never
tried it with non-Apple equipment.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Director
Mac for the Blind
Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, j...@macfortheblind.com
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX Mountain Lion and LION

On May 12, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie>
wrote:

> Hey John,
>
> There's no problem getting an airport to join a wireless network.  This, of
> course, then gets the airport its own IP.  It's very handy for, sharing
> printers (assuming you don't have a wireless printer) or a USB disk or
> something like that.
>
> However I've trawled googled for about 2 days and only last night, by a
> fluke, discovered you can't extend unless the base station (as opposed to the
> one extending) is apple.
>
> Of course you could probably do something like a WDS setup, but that, to the
> best of my knowledge doesn't apply to Wireless N.
>
> Dónal
> On 12 May 2013, at 16:36, John Panarese <jpanar...@mac-access.net> wrote:
>
>>  I didn't realize that you can't use it to extend wirelessly.  I thought if
>> you had the Express or Extreme join the network, with Airpot Utility, you
>> could get it to extend an exisiting network?
>>
>>   If not, I would then assume your idea of connecting with wires shoudl get
>> the job done then.
>>

>> Take Care
>>
>> John D. Panarese
>> Director
>> Mac for the Blind
>> Tel, (631) 724-4479
>> Email, j...@macfortheblind.com
>> Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com
>>
>> APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX Mountain Lion and LION
>>
>> AUTHORIZED APPLE STORE BUSINESS AFFILIATE
>>
>> MAC and iOS VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT
>>

>> On May 12, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitz...@computing.dcu.ie>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Afternoon all,
>>>
>>> Subject says it all really.  I have a TP-link ADSL router which also
>>> supplies wireless.  However I want to add an Airport Extrme, or express,
>>> into the network to extend the signal.  Now given it's not manufactured by
>>> Apple my understanding is I can't extend the network wirelessly but I'm 99%
>>> certain that if I connect one of the LAN ports on the TP-link to the WAN
>>> port on the extreme (I plan to use some of those ethernet adaptors that
>>> plug into wall sockets) it should be possible.  Am I wrong?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dónal