I use clamxav. It is free and is for me very very powerful. If you don't know
what you are doing … So back up your system just in case. I have not yet
screwed anything up, but I always always keep a back up in case I am on too
little sleep. lol!

Here is a podcast I did on this program. The link to the website for clamxav is
in the show notes..

http://www.tffppodcast.com/a-look-at-clamxav-a-free-antivirus-solution-for-the-mac/

Good luck and hope that helps.

Take care.