hi Amber,

I have a mac mini and had the same complaints about busy signals as you
describe. Ester wrote a good explanation and gave some links that were very
helpful to me. so I am quoting her message in part for you.

Cathy

Ester wrote:

The most complete answer that I've seen on how to use a Mac mini without a
monitor is written up at John Panarese's "Adventures with My Mac Mini" blog
article at his Macfortheblind.com pages:
http://macfortheblind.com/?p=591

The key piece of information is the link to the Sewell Direct "Sewell TVdeck PC
to TV Converter (VGA to Composite)":
http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp
Sewell Part #:  SW-23000   Mfg Part #:  SW-23000
Price: $29.95

John used that in combination with an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adaptor (I
think the current product model number is MB572Z/B but you should check that
out for yourself -- the Apple Knowledge Base document on video adapters and
connectors that was last updated on March 1, 2013 indicates that the MB572Z
part number series works world wide for all Mac Minis dating from the Early
2009 model and later, except for machines sold in China,Taiwan, and Korea,
which use the MB570FE part number series.) For that solution you need to buy
the two adapters -- the Apple connector and the one from Sewell direct.  There
are also hand-made solutions that involve soldering connector pins on the
output adapter, but this is  an off-the-shelf solution you can buy for a total
price of about $60 that is less cumbersome than carrying around a monitor.

Like the others, I do not own a Mac Mini, so I can only summarize the
information that I have read several times on various mailing lists.  (I can,
however, if necessary, link you to the original posts by people who owned Mac
Minis and stated what did and did not work for them.)

The issue is not that the Mac Mini cannot be used at all without a monitor
connected, but that when it is used with VoiceOver without a monitor, it is
sluggish, preferences are not remembered, such as automatically starting up
VoiceOver at login, and particularly when internet access using Safari, iTunes,
etc. is activated there is a noticeable performance hit in terms of busy
messages and lack of responsiveness.  I've only read of one recent Mac Mini
user, not on this list, who claims that his Mac Mini runs perfectly well
without a monitor.  Since this is someone who ordered a fully loaded system
(maxed up on memory, etc.), and is also a new switcher who could not give
comparison performance of his system or any other Mac system's performance with
a monitor connected, I'm not sure how to evaluate this.