Hey guys.  I'm posting this question for my mom, so hopefully one of you all
can help us out.

Here is the situation.  Her company has given her an IPhone 4S for both
personal and business use.  She also has an IPad 1st Generation.  Wthe the
situation is, is that she has an old Dell Demention desktop tower running
Windows XP which she's trying to in the long run not have to use any longer.
She slowly but surely migrating completely over to the Mac as last May, I got
her a mini for her birthday.  On her old computer, she's got a lot of pictures
on that Dell system which she needs transfered to her mac.  That's easy.  I can
help her do that no issue.  Where the issue comes in is, she also has some
pictures on her phone that she wants transfered to her IPad.  I told her that
she could simply use photo stream and have it automatically sync via ICloud
between the two devices.  She doesn't really want to do this though as she
doesn't want all pictures coming across to her photo stream.  Some of the
pictures in her phone's camera roll are work related, and she doesn't for
security reasons want those getting moved to ICloud.  On the same note, she
doesn't want all the same pictures on her phone that are on her IPad.
Ultimately, what she wants is the ability to erase pictures from the camera
roll on her phone, not through ITunes necessarily, but just from the photos app
itself, but not have them get deleted from the IPad, and same vice versa.  She
wants the control of manually being able to specify what photos are on each
device.  If we use ICloud with photo stream, everything's gonna come across
regardless.  She doesn't have an issue deleting the work photos, but she just
doesn't want it where if she removes them or any other picture from one device,
it deletes it from the others.  She wants them to all be totally independent.
Does that kind of make sense?  I confess, I'm not totally sure how she's gonna
do this.  I am thinking what she needs probably to do is to disable photo
stream from her ICloud.  But, how do we do that on her mac, and on both her IOS
devices?  She doesn't want to totally disable ICloud… just photo stream and
nothing else.  She just doesn't want photos getting pushed to her ICloud.  She
wants to do it completely manually by hand.

What's probably the best way for me to teach her how to do this?

Chris.