Emacs or another programmer’s text editor will certainly be able to do this,
but the problem of VoiceOVer accessibility will still be there.
I’ve managed to get Emacspeak working on the Mac, but it wasn’t the most
intuitive process as far as I recall. I do recommend it though, contrary to the
common perception I’ve found it a pretty great working environment once you get
it running
Best,
Zack.