Hi All,

Since we still seem to be getting posts on this topic, let me just state that
the MacWorld article Dane originally cited contains a comprehensive discussion
of all the different suggestions that have been offered in this thread (e.g.,
Gordon's suggestion of using The Apple Recovery Assistant, John's suggestion of
DiskMaker X, etc.). I'll also note that the author of the article, Dan Frakes,
reported a few instances where DiskMaker X version 3 didn't work perfectly for
him. So if you receive a message, such as the utility alerting you that it
couldn't properly name the drive it was creating, and want to know what is
going on, you can check this article.

Also, Josh may be thinking of the steps outlined for using Disk Utility to
prepare the USB thumb drive for creation if the bootable installer.  That step
does, indeed, write over the partition contents on the USB thumb drive on which
you are installing the bootable media.  None of the steps, if followed
correctly, overwrite and erase your hard drive, although that is something that
is possible to do under Disk Utility run with Admin privileges if your drive
went completely bad and you wanted to restore contents from a bootable clone
hard drive (which is presumably attached to your system so you can work from
that hard drive in cases where you need to perform drastic surgery on your
computer's internal hard drive.

If you use any of the individual methods to create a bootable Mavericks install
drive without problems, you may not need or want to read this article. However,
if you encounter issues midway, or need to know about other preparation
procedures to take before upgrading (especially the recommendation that you
create a bootable clone of your hard drive before proceeding using programs
like Carbon Copy Cloner, or SuperDuper!), this article contains links to that
information.

I'll just end by pasting in the paragraph with reference URL link to this
article from Dane's original post.  This article has been continuously updated
since its original appearance in MacWorld when Mavericks was first released.

The Install Mavericks is extremely comprehensive and even has sections which
deal with those earlier 2007 model mac machines which won't run Mountain Lion
and above.
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install-drive.html>

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther