Jason,

Welcome. I use terminal regularly. I do not use a number pad and have a Mac
book Pro. The Braille support is the same commands as voice-over. You cannot
separate the braille cursor from the voice-over cursor. Hense, if you issue
vi-up arrow to move up a line. The same command (function) is what occurs on
the braille display.

Commands I use:

vo up and down arrow to navigate through the history buffer
vo left and right to move by word
shift vo left and right is by char of course.
vo l - read current line.

There isn’t any commands under voice-over  that I have found which takes you to
the beginning or end of the line in the buffer like there is with Speakup or
Window screen readers.

If you want to access via serial, you can use screen /dev/<name>

Again, I find vo doesn’t read at the beginning of the line when using screen
via a serial port to my cisco routers. I am not sure if this is a setting issue
or terminal emulation.

Emacs does work with Vo as well in the terminal.

Sean