Root is not generally the way you want to run commands. It is possible to remove the entire contents of your hd as root, and with no prompting whatsoever. You really shouldn't do anything as root unless it's absolutely necessary. Running the command rm -r * will remove all files in the current folder, and also, every file under any folders in that folder. If that command were run from the root of your drive, and it was run as root, you'd have a clean hd in short order, and your system wouldn't even tell you it happened. Of course, the next ls command would alert you to the fact that something was wrong, when you get a file or command not recognized error, but by then, all your stuff is all gone, and can't be retrieved. Use root for sysadmin tasks that cannot be performed by a standard user, and leave everything else to standard users, the same rm -r * command executed from root as a standard user would simply give a series of permission deneyed errors instead of wiping out your entire hd. Of course, all your user files would go bye-bye, but that's a far cry from wiping your entire hd, so always be careful when you're logged in as root.