Here is the workflow I generally follow when using ABBYY FineReader Pro on my
Mac in combination with a WiFi connected scanner to scan, import, OCR and
export single- or multipage documents.

These instructions were written based on FineReader Pro version 12.0.6, MacOS
10.9.5, a 2013 Macbook Air, and a Canon Pixma MX922 MFP. These instructions
assume the User has a working knowledge of VoiceOver and a compatible and
functioning scanner connected wired or wirelessly to a mac with the proper
scanner drivers and the latest version of FineReader Pro installed.

1. Load the paper document(s) into the scanner.
2. Launch FineReader Pro.
3. If FineReader does not automatically open to a “New Task” dialog, press
Command+N to open the New Task dialog. The New Task dialog Is laid out roughly
in the form of a table and is relatively intuitive, but there are a few
confusingly labeled items, so I will include some additional notes at the end
of these instructions.
4. In the New Task dialog, highlight your scanner in the Sources table, make
sure the correct Document Language(s) are selected, and then press VO+Spacebar
on the desired export format. This will open a new window where you can specify
various scan options specific to your scanner. I assume these options will vary
depending on the make, model & features of the selected scanner. On my system I
have options such as flat-bed or ADF, duplex mode, scan area, color depth,
resolution and detect orientation.
5. After you have selected the desired scan settings, navigate to the button
labeled “Scan” and press VO+Spacebar to activate it. Your scanner should begin
scanning. I’m not sure if there is an official VO-accessible way to monitor
scan progress, but I normally either listen to the scanner or monitor the Scan
button, whose name will toggle between “Scan” and “Stop Scanning” depending on
scan status.
6. When all pages have been scanned, navigate to the button labeled “Finish
import” and press VO+Spacebar to activate it. A dialog box will provide
progress information as FineReader recognizes the text.
7. When the recognition process has completed, a standard OSX File Save As
dialog opens where you will name the file, choose the location where you’d like
it saved, and click the Export button to complete the process.

A few notes regarding the “New Task” window.
1. I suggest spending a few minutes familiarizing oneself with the items in the
New Task window by exploring with the VO+left and VO+right arrows.
2. There are two items in the New Task window that don’t seem to do anything:
one spoken simply as “Label” and the other spoken simply as “Image.”
3. There is a mislabeled button spoken as either “Go right, unchecked” or “Go
left, unchecked.” Pressing VO+Spacebar on this item will toggle it and will
also toggle between the “Quick conversion” and “Conversion format” labels. As
far as I can tell, all this does is switch the list of available export formats
between the short list displayed in the “Quick COnversion” list, and the full
list shown in the “COnversion Formats” list.

HTH,
Bryan

On Sep 26, 2014, at 1:05 PM, Leo Bissonnette <leo.bissonne...@videotron.ca>
wrote:
> Would be interested in learning more about how you use FRP to interface
> directly with my scanner for importing scanned paper documents,

the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the
Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free.
However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy.  We assume
neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.